Sunday, September 27, 2009

Screwed up my sleep cycle

So I did something stupid last night. I decided that now would be a good time to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to 9.04. As a result, I stayed up until 2 AM, and it still wasn't done.

Then the upgrade process was interrupted by a family gathering. It was nice to see the Baden side of my family, since I don't get to see them often and I hadn't seen most of them since I started hanging out with Carmichael. After our lunch together, I went back to my brother Billy's house and spent some time with my niece, Betsy, and nephew, Drew. We all (even the kids) ended up taking naps for whatever reason.

Fast forward to tonight. It's now 3 AM. I had a perfectly working version of Ubuntu 9.04 in time to watch Saturday Night Live, but I wasn't content... I wanted to clean my system up a bit. I ran baobab and noticed some file duplications. What I failed to notice was that during my upgrade today, I tried to install boxee, which involved a hack to run the 32-bit version, which created some hard linked directories... Long story short, I practically did rm -rf / (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME), effectively ruining both all of the progress I had made and bricking my system. And people complain when GMail is down for an hour.

Fortunately, I didn't have anything too important on there... I'm mostly living in the cloud these days, after all. I don't know what I'd do with out Google. Cry, probably.

I'm thinking I'll just not go to bed tonight and instead take a nap in the afternoon. That should reset my sleep cycle, right? Ted gets back tomorrow evening, and he'll get to see my brand new side effect: fluid retention! It's pretty gross. My legs feel like plump hams right about now, and I have really weird things going on around the edges of my clothes. Still, here's to another day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, but when Gmail goes down, it's not the user's fault! ;)

    ReplyDelete