Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Going Back to OK

As expected, Mom worried everyone for no reason.  The bone marrow biopsy revealed that there were still no cancer cells in my bone marrow, which again is a really good sign that the leukemia is cured.  What's more, Dr. Yanovich (my primary doctor, now) felt around and he thinks my spleen is actually shrinking, that the CT scan was in some way anomalous due to the medication I received in the hospital.

So basically Dr. Akpek made my mom panic over nothing.  And panic she did: I didn't realize how worried she was until Billy came with her to the doctor last Monday.  She felt a little foolish after I explained things to her, but at least she's not as worried now.

Just to be sure, they did another CT scan on Monday.  I'll get the results tomorrow, but I'm sure my spleen will be smaller.

My appetite is becoming managable.  I think it has helped that I've had a lot to do recently, between Ted's parents being in town and with Bobby and Hillary leaving. I haven't had a chance to cook for almost a week, really, and I've been kind of forced to eat out more than I'd like given my neutropenia.  But the food was great, and I don't think I had to pay for anything.  Always a plus.

My energy level is waning, but I'm still getting in to work whenever I don't go to the hospital.  I'm just really tired afterward, you know, like a normal person.  At least I'm making progress again, finally, even if it's a bit slower than I'd like.  I'm still going to try to propose this summer, but we'll see if I manage it.

Finally, I think my depression is finally clearing up.  I was feeling pretty down while I was in the hospital, and I could tell because I didn't want to play video games.  But that's all cleared up now, and I'm enjoying Star Ocean: The Last Hope (even though I had to replace my PS3 to play it) and Civilization 4 (which I got to work in Linux).  It feels really good to be getting back to a fairly normal life.  Now if I could just cut down on the doctor visits...

No comments:

Post a Comment