Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Not a Bill

Today, I almost thought I got my bill for my hospital stay over two months ago. It turns out that it's not a bill though, and just a statement of what I'm being charged. After about a 90% reduction thanks to insurance, I'm left with exactly $2561.28 in expenses.

I'm not going to lie; it is a lot of money. Fortunately, I've always made sure that I kept some money in savings, so I will be able to afford it. It's just... after 9 years of college and grad school, I've only managed to save up about $7000, and now over a third of that might go to this one expense. I say "might" because I probably won't actually have to pay that much. The statement (which is "not a bill") came with an insert that says the following:

University of Maryland Medical Center meets or exceeds the legal requirements by providing financial assistance to those individuals in households below 200% of the federal poverty level and reduced cost-care up to 400% of the federal poverty level.

I'm 100% certain that I'm under 500% of the poverty level, since that's what's necessary to get Gleevec for free from Novartis. Thanks again for that, by the way, Novartis. I'm pretty certain that I'm under 400% as well. If I'm not under 200%, I'm not much higher than it. Such is the life of a grad student. I guess, though, that I should be grateful for what I have rather than regretful of what I don't. Besides, I can't complain, because I think that in the end my education will be worth far more than what I've had to pay for it, even if you factor in costs such as missed opportunities. As much as I complain, my education is really going to be worth something when I finally get out of here.

Speaking of my education, our Sigcomm plans are starting to come together. I'm pretty sure we'll have a decent submission. I almost regret my paper last year about a distributed, privacy-preserving online social network called Persona; while I certainly don't regret winning Best Student Paper, it's almost impossible to follow-up on the paper because it solves so much! Every time we think we have a problem, we realize that Persona solves it almost trivially... almost so much that we couldn't possibly get an entire paper out of it. It's a little frustrating because I feel that there's a bit less to do in the area of privacy in social networks, but that's most likely going to be my thesis topic so I need to come up with something. Our current idea feels a little weak, but that's probably only because I've always set my bar too high. I just get tired of reading papers that design a system exactly as you'd expect if you were to just sit down with the problem for a few minutes.

In other Carmichael news, I've been having some trouble socially. Some of the people involved either do read this blog, might read this blog, or have a reputation that I wouldn't want to tarnish with my minor annoyances. My problems are two-fold. First, I'm supposed to drink in moderation, so even if I'm out having fun I only have one or two drinks, not enough to even really get me buzzed. Ordinarily I wouldn't really care, since I don't really enjoy drinking that much. However, I really don't like being out with a bunch of people who are drinking without me, because I think the social dynamic gets thrown totally off-kilter. Plus, since I don't really drive anywhere, I'm not even able to be the designated driver, so I can't even do some good by being sober. I'll just say thanks, Bender, for driving on Saturday, and leave it at that.

My second problem is that, as much as I would like to, I can't forget about Carmichael. It's bad enough that my alarm goes off at noon every day reminding me to take my pill and that I almost have a side effect of some sort (currently it's back muscle aches, joint pain in my legs and feet, and occasional numbness in my right big toe). Tangent: I wonder if I can deal with side effects better if I think of them more like status effects in an RPG? Anyway, the thing that really gets to me is that someone who shall remain nameless is having an even harder time with Carmichael than I am. That, and I can often tell that when he looks at me. That, and when he's drunk, his inner monologue becomes an outer monologue.

And now, before I finish off this post, I figured everyone might want to see how my Mo is doing! Enjoy the pictures.



And don't forget to check out my Movember page if you want to donate some money for the fight against testicular and prostate cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment