Sunday, October 25, 2009

HotNets in the Big Apple

HotNets and New York

I'm on the Bolt Bus, waiting to leave New York now. I have about a 4 hour trip ahead of me, so I figure that this is the perfect time to write my entry.

HotNets went pretty well. I was much less nervous about this talk than I was about my SIGCOMM talk, but I think that's understandable since the SIGCOMM one was far more important. I think the talk went reasonably well, and there were a few people interested in the work, but I feel like the community as a whole hasn't really bought the whole "systems on OSNs" idea, and probably won't until it actually happens. In some sense, though, that's a good thing, because it means that when we eventually write that paper that it will be even more important.

There were a few very interesting talks. I think these were my favorites: Michael Walfish's talk about which entities in the future Internet should be able to control the path that a flow follows from a source to a destination (their conclusion is everyone on the path), and Michael Piatek's talk which identified how much performance gain P2P apps could really get from favoring intra-domain traffic to the exclusion of inter-domain traffic (not much, despite earlier work such as Ono that suggested otherwise). Another talk I found very interesting was Saikat Guha's, about serving adds locally for performance and privacy, but I have some issues with their assumptions so I'm not convinced that it's quite there yet. From what I hear, Dave has another, similar solution, so we'll see how that goes.

Perhaps more interesting than the workshop itself was an odd occurance during Bryan Ford's talk. He revealed an (I admit) amusing point about excessive encapsulation in some Outlook protocol, and then all of a sudden my back was completely wet. Someone (who shall remain nameless; he's already suffered enough for this) was apparently taking a drink of water and did a spit-take at the joke, all over my back and the screen of my laptop. On the plus side, I've now memorized this person's name and face. I guess that's one way to meet people at networking events. Maybe I should pay it forward...

Getting back to the more Carmichaely side of things, my side effects became more pronounced while traveling, I suspect because I wasn't as able to keep myself hydrated as well as I usually do. I've had aches, joint pain, soreness, nausea, tiredness, edema, and probably some other side effects that I've mostly forgotten by now. The nausea was the worst, since it comes right after lunch when I take my pill, so it was right in the middle of HotNets. Food usually helps, but the food there was so terrible that I felt better going with the nausea.

After HotNets was over, I was still in New York for two more days, but I knew I would be leaving during the day on Sunday so I figured I should get most of my sightseeing done Saturday. Before I say anything else, I have to say this: I love the layout of Manhattan. It's so logical that I immediately was able to navigate both the streets and the subway, I didn't get lost once, and I was even able to give people directions the four or five times they asked for them.

I started with downtown. I went to Wall Street first, then the WTC site, then down to Battery Park to get a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty, then back up to the Bodies exhibit (my favorite part of the trip), then up a little further to Brooklyn Bridge. Then I stopped by the hotel to change, and went up to the upper east side and made my way down along Central Park. Then I went to Rockefeller Center, the Nintendo World store, and Times Square. I was going to make my way to the public library, but it started to rain really hard at that point so I cut my trip short at Grand Central Station. Then later that evening I thought the rain had died down a bit, so I went and had a drink at the Stonewall Inn. Unfortunately, the heavens opened up again as soon as I left the place, so I went back inside and waited it out with a few sodas. Then I just went home for the night. This morning, I hit Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building before getting on the Bolt Bus. And of course I did some shopping and saw a few other places, but those were basically the landmarks. Here are my impressions:

  • Wall Street: Really cool. I think I'm glad I went on a Saturday when things were so quiet. I especially liked the cathedral at the end of the street, as if it were passing judgment on the street and its going-ons.
  • WTC site: Too much construction going on. I didn't see squat. But there was still something kind of eerie about the huge open space in the middle of the city.
  • Battery Park: Bleh.
  • Bodies: Incredibly cool. It's an exhibit of real human bodies that have been opened up and put on display. Morbid and educational... how can you go wrong? They also have a number of abnormal body parts on display, including an enlarged spleen (it was still small potatoes compared to my mighty spud, though). My favorite part, though, and this is still somewhat related to Carmichael, was the exhibit on the circulatory system. They injected some substance into the blood which was bright red in the arteries and bright blue in the veins, and which after some time would harden. After it hardened, they chemically removed the rest of the body. The result was an amazing display of all of the arteries and all of the veins of an entire body. As a kid, vampires were my favorite monster, and then (somewhat independently) I fell in love with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and now I have a blood cancer. I guess Spike was right about blood (I promise, one of these days I'll get around to talking about Buffy quotes that I find particularly relevant to Carmichael). I wasn't supposed to take any pictures, but I managed to snag one of the enlarged spleen. I just couldn't resist. I'll post it when I get home.
  • Brooklyn Bridge: I don't know, it's a bridge?
  • Central Park: Really underwhelming. I thought I was going to be more impressed by it, but it felt more like wasted space.
  • Rockefeller Center: I bet it would be romantic to go ice skating there if you were in a movie. I'll pass on that, though. It was cool to see 30 Rock though.
  • Nintendo World: I liked Nintendo World, but I think Nintendo and I are on the outs right now. Maybe I'm too old for it, but I don't think that's it. I think it's just that they have given up on their original fanbase. They now only target people younger than me and people older than me. I really wanted to buy something from there, but everything was so tacky. The one thing that I found that I could see myself wearing was a wobbufet t-shirt (the t-shirt just had his face on it), but they only had them in youth sizes. At least I got a picture of R.O.B.
  • Times Square: Kind of felt like a self-fulfilling prophecy; people flock to this landmark because it's filled with advertisements, and it's filled with advertisements because people flock to it. I don't know what I was expecting though.
  • Grand Central Station: To be honest, I was kind of wet, so I didn't really pay attention. The only thing I remember thinking is that the food court reminded me of the food court at Union Station in DC.
  • Stonewall Inn: Another landmark where I don't know what I was expecting. It's just like any other gay bar. The people there seemed even more shallow and empty-headed, though that could be due to many factors; I'm older now and disenfranchised with the gay community as a whole, I was kind of depressed at that point from exploring the city alone the whole time, and sampling bias. I went there around 9:00 and was only there briefly, so I only talked to the bartender, two older gentlemen obsessed with finding out my age (I think they didn't believe that I was over 21), and one other person who thought that Maryland was somewhere between New York and California. I knew I'd just be bored back at my hotel room, but the place really had a skeevy vibe to it, so I figured I'd have better luck finding company in the rain. I don't know why I thought that Stonewall Inn, birthplace of the gay rights movement, would be somehow different from the other gay bars and clubs that I've been to in my life, but there you have it.
  • Madison Square Garden: I might as well have skipped this.
  • Empire State Building: Even though I had a lot of time to kill before my bus arrived, I decided that it wasn't worth it to wait through the line just to have them go through all of my belongings at the security checkpoint. Instead I found the nearest comic shop and got Buffy Season 8 volume 5, which gave me something to do for the last hour or so after my PSP Go's battery died.

All in all, it was a fun trip, but it would have been more fun if Ted had come with me. Dinner alone every night without easily accessible wi-fi is not my idea of fun.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite the trip that you had! Most of NYC's landmarks aren't as interesting as they seem (trust me, I've been here for decades) but others mostly depend on when you go and the time of year. I'm sorry that you had to dine alone, because if I had known I would have tried to have gotten the weekend off!

    Oh, and just so I don't scare you outright, I'm Scott from good ol' SSU! If ever you are around NY again for a conference or whatnot, do let me know (although the Public Library has been having a facelift lately, so it was probably best that you missed it)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, DP... I can't believe I neglected to look you up! I'm guessing part of the problem was that I basically didn't have Internet access while I was there, except at HotNets itself. :p

    ReplyDelete