Friday, October 09, 2009

SIGCOMM Pitch, Wii Fit Plus, Harley, and Dollhouse

I was a bit frustrated yesterday by the SIGCOMM pitch meeting. Before we begin working on papers for each big conference, we always have a pitch meeting where we throw out our ideas to try to flesh them out a little and figure out who will work on which project. I think Bobby and Neil were disappointed that we weren't ready for the pitch meeting, for me especially since unlike everyone else I haven't had a paper deadline to work toward. I've been busy with other stuff; being in the hospital for starters, doing a few small assignments for GeoMAN, making the HotNets camera ready and slides, preparing for Syschat (though it's understandable that they would forget this since I didn't actually end up giving that presentation), and trying to read a few papers. These tasks have been a little difficult for me, especially on certain days like yesterday and today when I get stuck in a loop where I think to myself that I'm being unproductive, which then causes me to be unproductive, which then makes me think about it, etc.

Anyway, Persona won the best student paper award last year, so there's a lot of pressure to make the follow-up paper for it. I just haven't really had any ideas that have anywhere near the same importance as Persona, and thus I feel a little inadequate. Couple that with the fact that I didn't find out about the SIGCOMM pitch meeting until last Friday, at which time Bobby told me I needed to work on the iOwes project with Dave, plus I needed to make the Bond Breaker slides for Syschat on Wednesday still, and it's easy for me at least to understand why I wasn't ready for the pitch meeting. Oh well. I suspect in the end that the point of the pitch meeting was really just to light a fire under our butts anyway, not to make us feel bad about not being ready for it, so I'm not going to let it get to me.

Yesterday evening I got to use the new game I bought on Wednesday night: Wii Fit Plus. I really liked Wii Fit, but found it to be basically useless for working out because you had to spend so much time just pressing buttons to get from exercise to exercise. Now you can set up entire routines of both strength training and yoga, and this is absolutely perfect for me. I'm hoping that this coming week I can start getting up early in the morning to do a workout before I head into the lab, but we'll see. My first workout convinced me that over the course of my treatment, I've really let myself get out of shape and I need to work on it. A few of the stretches felt like I pushed myself a bit too hard, and some of the exercises put more pressure on my previously gout-ridden toe than I'd like, but other than that, Wii Fit Plus seems like the perfect way to get some real exercise at home.

After my workout yesterday evening, Ted's college friend Harley came to visit us. We went to my favorite restaurant for dinner, Siri's: Chef's Secret, and just chatted about various things. We talked about how I was getting along, and Harley and "Grant" (Ted's name before he came to UMD) caught up on old times. Harley seemed to have this doom and gloom mentality, as if I would drop dead any minute, and that I needed to be out living life to the fullest. I don't know that I necessary disagree, but I like to think that I'll live for at least another 30 years, as some Gleevec researchers are predicting. Plus, by then, they'll probably have a surefire cure.

Today I tried to flesh out some of the ideas we brought up after the SIGCOMM pitch meeting, but I was really distracted, it was really cold in the lab (it has been for a while), and it was such a beautiful day outside. I ended up leaving early. I figure that in a month or so, I'm going to start spending all of my time in the lab, so I can afford a little bit of down time until then. One thing that probably would be nice is if I did my thesis proposal largely based on the planned SIGCOMM paper, and got that over with in November some time, but we'll see if there's time for that. It might be tough with the looming SIGCOMM deadline and the HotNets stuff I still need to take care of, plus there's always GeoMAN... sometimes I just find myself to be stretched too thin to be of much use on any project.

Of course, there was a ray of sunshine tonight: my favorite current TV show, Dollhouse. Tonight's episode was quite good, and I have to say that Enver Gjokaj is a talented and adorable actor. I want to see him in some same-sex engagements! If the Dollhouse were real and I were filthy stinking rich, I'd hire him for all kinds of stuff.

Here's hoping Dollhouse stays on the air for the entire season at least! Poor Joss just can't catch a break on TV these days, even though he was born for the medium...

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! (insert more words of encouragement here)

    But seriously...isn't it creepy how the adds want to inform me about Leukemia all the time? I mean...I'm mostly just confused by which Leukemia-research group decided "Hey guys, advertising, that's what we need! Get some good ol' pr in!" XD

    ReplyDelete